Monday, February 15, 2010

Apparently this was shown in our Italian language class the day I spent getting my permit of stay, a few weeks ago...

Is it mean?  Is it accurate?  I would have said it was both mean and accurate, but I'm starting to see that this is just how things are; there are a few things that are tongue in cheek, so to speak, but it's not a "mean" depiction because it's not seen as being a bad thing. It's just a different way of doing things... a chaotic, rambunctious, inefficient, and lively way of doing things that's embraced here.  If you don't fight it, it's not so bad.  If you do fight it, you will go insane in short order.  That's all there is to it.

The part at 2:51 I completely relate with.  I have started counting how many places I have to go to complete a task that should only take one stop....






I felt I had to post this video, because it encapsulates everything wacky and frustrating about Italy... I could rant about all the inefficient and wacky things here, but this is a pretty good summary.  And that being said, Italy boasts the world's 7th largest economy... so they must be doing something right.  :)




<3

Beth

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about being directed to go to different offices. What makes it even harder in Denmark is that working hours are RIDICULOUSLY SHORT! A lot of offices are only open 10-2 or maaaaybe 10-4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that video is great! funny thing is the U.S. looks a lot like Italy according to this! I'd like to see one made comparing one city here to another. what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beth - you are a great communicator. thanks for the video. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Italia = Nueva York! Insanity persists across the ocean- you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was an awesome video. i love the cultural nuances when studying abroad. keep up the blog, i'm learning about italy through you!

    ReplyDelete